Justin is co-chair of Godfrey & Kahn’s Data Privacy & Cybersecurity Practice Group and a Special Counsel with the firm. He is also a member of the firm’s Technology & Digital Business Practice Group. Justin holds the Certified Information Privacy Professional/US (CIPP/US) certification from the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
Justin’s practice focuses on helping clients with the legal issues that arise from technology and data in an increasingly digital world, with a specific focus on cybersecurity and data privacy matters. His work includes:
- Compliance with state, federal and international privacy laws, including the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (EU) (GDPR), the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), and the New York Department of Financial Services Cybersecurity Regulation
- Data breach response and remediation
- Data breach prevention
- Drafting, reviewing and consulting on written information security programs, incident response plans, and subsidiary information technology and security standards and policies
- Establishing data privacy programs, including drafting, reviewing and consulting on data privacy notices and policies, governance, and information handling
- Cybersecurity and data privacy due diligence in mergers and acquisitions
- Litigation and regulatory matters concerning cybersecurity and data privacy
- Reviewing and negotiating cyber liability insurance policies
- Negotiating myriad technology contracts, including XaaS, software development, outsourcing, hosting, and technology implementation
Justin also serves as Godfrey & Kahn’s Chief Information Security Officer. In this role, Justin oversees the firm’s information security program and incident response process, assesses the firm’s cybersecurity posture and its security systems and measures, and develops strategies to mitigate risks to the confidentiality, security, integrity, and availability of firm systems and data.
Prior to joining Godfrey & Kahn, Justin was an associate at a large Milwaukee firm where he focused on data privacy and security matters, and litigated cases in both federal and state court. Prior to private practice, Justin served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable J.P. Stadtmueller of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin.
During law school, Justin was a judicial intern for Justice Ann Walsh Bradley of the Wisconsin Supreme Court and the Honorable Diane S. Sykes of the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Prior to practicing law, Justin was the Information Security Officer at top-100 private university, where he was in charge of all aspects of the university’s information security program, including intrusion detection and prevention, incident response, penetration testing, and forensic analysis. He also coordinated with the university’s general counsel on legal issues relating to cybersecurity and information privacy.
Admitted To Practice
Wisconsin - 2014
United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
United States District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
United States District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
American Bar Association
Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association
Milwaukee Bar Association
Seventh Circuit Bar Association
Advisory Council for the Marquette Center for Cyber Security Awareness and Cyber Defense
Marquette Law Review, former Technology Editor
Marquette Law School Pro Bono Society
Recognized as a Wisconsin Rising Star in Technology Transactions (2018)
CIPP/US certification from the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
Recipient of Nine CALI Excellence for the Future Awards
Juris Doctor, Marquette University Law School, 2013, summa cum laude
Bachelor of Science, University of California – Los Angeles (UCLA), 2003