We have a long history of involvement in legal initiatives to protect the air, water and other natural resources of tribal communities for future generations
Our experience includes:
- Successful representation in administrative and court proceedings to prevent adverse impacts from proposed off-reservation activities, including a successful multi-year campaign on behalf of a client to prevent development of zinc mining in northern Wisconsin;
- Preparation of water permitting codes and EPA-approved water quality standards that will not only regulate discharges on reservation but also strengthen tribes’ ability to prevent off reservation activities impacting reservation water quality;
- Successful applications to achieve EPA Class I status for their reservations under the federal Clean Air Act, the highest level of protection from ambient concentrations of conventional pollutants (e.g. sulfur dioxide, particulate matter and nitrogen dioxide) on the reservation. Class I designation enable the tribes to influence off-reservation development that could adversely affect reservation air quality;
- Establishment of tribal environmental protection ordinances and programs to protect tribal air, water, and other natural resources;
- Successful grant applications to finance tribes’ transition from reliance on energy from state-regulated, coal fired power plants to clean, renewable, reservation-based energy; and
- Assisting in the development of “green” energy initiatives, including energy efficiency that reduce the environmental impacts of a tribe’s own commercial and government operations.
In addition, the firm offers a full range of environmental services, including: traditional environmental law (CERCLA, RCRA, Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, etc.), land use, wetlands, water rights, conservation easements, municipal environmental issues, criminal and civil environmental litigation, regulatory compliance, risk transfer and environmental, brownfields, landfills, air permitting and compliance, and political law.
Godfrey & Kahn Updates
News & Publications