We understand that in Indian country employees are not just a “cost of business” but family, neighbors, friends and members.
Tribal leaders must balance their responsibility to operate government programs and tribal enterprises efficiently for the benefit of current and future members against the need to encourage members to develop their skills and support their families.
Godfrey & Kahn’s experienced labor and employment attorneys assist tribal leaders and tribal attorneys to achieve the goals of attracting and high quality employees, developing the capabilities of tribal members and protecting tribes from infringement of rights of self-government. Our experience includes:
- Operational advice to managers relating to hiring, discipline, benefits, etc.
- Anti-discrimination and anti-harassment training
- Preparation of employee policies and handbooks, including grievance remedies that provide basic fairness to employees without undermining the authority of tribal managers
- Tribal Employment Rights Ordinances (TERO)
- Indian Preference and Tribal Preference Issues
- Defense against attempts by state agencies to subpoena employment records
- Defense of EEOC claims
- Worker’s compensation representation
- Health and retirement benefits issues
- Tribal right to work laws and proactive strategies to minimize the likelihood that a tribe will be the target of a union effort to organize the Tribe’s workers; and
- Representation in disputes with federal or state agencies