Godfrey & Kahn is a nationally recognized bond counsel firm with an active municipal securities practice.
Data compiled by Securities Data Corporation has ranked Godfrey & Kahn among the top five bond counsel firms in the North Central States in total number of long-term tax-exempt issues.
We represent clients in the financing of projects that are governmentally owned, tribal government projects, as well as private projects and 501(c)(3) projects that qualify for tax-exempt financing. Drawing on our experience in traditional public finance matters and our extensive tribal government and private sector practice, we are able to provide a full range of legal services to local and regional units of government, tribal governments, as well as private sector and 501(c)(3) clients doing business with those entities.
Typical public finance transactions include:
- Debt financing for schools
- Municipal projects such as streets, sewer and water improvements, county highways, courthouses and jails
- Tribal government projects
- Technical college buildings and equipment
- Metropolitan sewerage district projects
- Private manufacturing facilities
- Hospital and health care facilities
- Higher education facilities
- Stadium financing
In addition to fulfilling the traditional bond counsel role for its clients, we have served as counsel to issuers, tribal governments, underwriters, banking institutions, private sector and 501(c)(3) borrowers, credit enhancers and institutional investors.
Our work in public finance and areas related to the public sector is varied and diverse and includes:
- Bond counsel on traditional municipal debt financing, such as general obligation bonds and notes, water/sewer revenue bonds, cash flow borrowings, refundings, clean water fund loans and tax-exempt lease financing
- Bond counsel on tribal government financings
- Bond counsel, underwriter's counsel, issuer's counsel, bank counsel, borrower's counsel and credit enhancer's counsel on tax-exempt financing for privately owned and 501(c)(3) projects including hospital/health care and higher education facilities
- Providing counsel to both public and private sector clients on tax increment financing issues
- Providing counsel to public bodies and brokers/dealers regarding their obligations under, and compliance with, regulations promulgated by the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board governing public finance transactions
- Providing legal services in areas related to public finance, such as real estate, environmental law, construction law, public bidding, open meeting/public records law, inter-governmental agreements, condemnation, election law, state and local regulatory matters, and general municipal/school law matters and land use
- Providing legal services to assist issuers, borrowers, financial institutions and credit enhancers in workout situations involving troubled private activity bond projects
News & Publications