Responsible corporate governance demands vigilant attention to the rule of law.
Godfrey & Kahn delivers the sound advice and judgment necessary to ensure such vigilance. In the event that a company suspects - or the government alleges - that the company has run afoul of the law, Godfrey & Kahn has unparalleled experience to ferret out the facts and, if necessary, to mount a vigorous defense for its clients in the criminal, regulatory and civil proceedings that often follow.
The White Collar Defense & Investigations Practice Group at Godfrey & Kahn boasts several former criminal prosecutors, including a former Watergate prosecutor and former United States Attorney, former Assistant United States Attorneys, former Judge Advocate General's (JAG) Corps prosecutors, and former state prosecutors. Our attorneys have investigated and prosecuted a vast range of complex white collar matters, and have tried a multitude of jury cases to verdict. Other attorneys in our firm are highly regarded in subjects with direct application to the white collar area, such as corporate governance, health care, environmental law and antitrust. Quite clearly, Godfrey & Kahn can draw upon a broad array of talent and resources when servicing clients on white collar matters.
Given the enormous stakes involved, corporations and the individuals who lead them trust Godfrey & Kahn to represent them in their most sensitive white collar matters. Past matters have included:
- Representing corporations and independent directors in Sarbanes-Oxley investigations
- Defending pharmaceutical companies and employees against allegations of kickbacks in the marketing of pharmaceutical products
- Defending corporations in qui tam investigations and cases in the health care, government and defense contracting industries
- Representing financial institutions as victims in multi-million dollar mortgage fraud schemes
- Representing financial institutions and hedge funds in connection with investigations and litigation arising from their relationships with customers and counter-parties accused of operating multi-billion dollar Ponzi schemes
- Defending health care providers against alleged violations of the False Claims Act and alleged fraud against the Medicare and Medicaid programs
- Defending construction companies in antitrust investigations and prosecutions
- Representing a large home builder during the federal investigation and prosecution of its CEO, CFO and outside law firm regarding a multi-million dollar fraud conspiracy involving embezzlement, bank fraud, billing improprieties and conflicts of interest by its outside attorneys, and public corruption by its CEO and others
- Prosecuting civil fraud claims on behalf of a hedge fund against its officers and directors
- Submitting a successful commodity jurisdiction request regarding exported goods to the United States Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, and defending against the corresponding seizure of the goods by United States Customs and Border Protection
- Representing publically held corporations in investigations regarding alleged corruption in connection with sales abroad
- Representing manufacturers in connection with alleged corruption associated with contracting with state, federal and local government bodies
Our experience in white collar law positions Godfrey & Kahn as a preeminent Wisconsin law firm for a broad range of services in this area. We work closely with our clients to implement effective compliance procedures that prevent wrongdoing, and bring our considerable experience to bear in the event of a government investigation or prosecution. With Godfrey & Kahn providing skilled counsel on white collar matters, corporate decision-makers can focus on more important tasks associated with running their business.
Godfrey & Kahn Updates
News & Publications