Godfrey & Kahn provides legal counsel to the news media both in Wisconsin and nationally, representing newspapers, magazines and the broadcast media. Our clients include daily newspapers in Milwaukee and Madison as well as newspapers and television and radio stations throughout the state. Since 1985, the firm has maintained a legal hotline for members of the Wisconsin Newspaper Association, the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association and the Wisconsin Freedom of Information Council. We also represent these associations as counsel.
Our media practice covers every aspect of media and First Amendment law. The firm's attorneys have represented clients in a wide range of matters including:
- Precedent-setting litigation over prior restraints, defamation and privacy
- Subpoenas and media access disputes
- Open records and open meeting disputes under both state and federal law
- Tax and antitrust challenges
- Challenges to independent contractor status and claims for employee benefits
- Copyright, trademark and domain name protection and infringement
- Book publishing and distribution, including author contracts and disputes
The counseling and litigation judgment of our attorneys has been battle-tested in the U.S. Court of Appeals and the Wisconsin and U.S. Supreme Courts. Whether working with Pulitzer Prize winners or recent newcomers to the profession, we apply the right resources and approach to advance the story and limit legal distractions and risks.