As the economy globalizes, businesses of all sizes continue to expand in the international marketplace.
With advancements in communications technology and internet commerce, transacting business with a customer or a supplier on the other side of the world can often be as easy as working with a company across the street.
As international trade controls have become more numerous and complex, compliance with these regulations has imposed a heavier burden on business. Consequently, understanding this rapidly evolving area of law is critical to continued success in international markets.
Godfrey & Kahn's International Trade team empowers its clients to expand into international markets with confidence and with lasting success. Team attorneys can assist businesses both large and small on matters such as:
- Export controls, export classification, and export licensing for commercial and defense-related products
- Import duty and "anti-dumping" compliance
- Crafting agreements with foreign distributors, consultants or joint venture partners to help mitigate risk under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) compliance, including registration, licensing, technical assistance agreements, and commodity jurisdiction requests
- "Binding ruling" tariff petitions submitted to U.S. Customs & Border Protection
- Transacting business with Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned countries
- Creating internal compliance policies and procedures to improve efficiency and reduce risk
- Providing introductory and ongoing compliance training to business development and shipping professionals
- Defending administrative and prosecutorial enforcement actions
- Exporting and importing under NAFTA regulations
- Assist with response to Customs audits and focused assessments
- Representation before the United States Court of International Trade
Whether your company is a seasoned international business or is dealing with a new overseas partner for the first time, Godfrey & Kahn's International Trade Team has the depth and breadth of experience to craft practical solutions designed to empower your business for ongoing global success.
News & Publications