As the economy globalizes, businesses of all sizes continue to expand in the international marketplace.
With advancements in communications technology and Internet commerce, transacting business with a customer or a supplier on the other side of the world can often be as easy as working with a company across the street.
As international trade controls have become more numerous and complex, compliance with these regulations has imposed a heavier burden on business. Consequently, understanding this rapidly evolving area of law is critical to continued success in international markets.
Godfrey & Kahn's International Trade team empowers its clients to expand into international markets with confidence and with lasting success. Team attorneys can assist businesses both large and small on matters such as:
- Export controls, export classification and export licensing for commercial and defense-related products
- Import duty and "anti-dumping" compliance
- Crafting agreements with foreign distributors, consultants or joint venture partners to help mitigate risk under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) compliance, including registration, licensing, technical assistance agreements and commodity jurisdiction requests
- "Binding ruling" tariff petitions submitted to U.S. Customs & Border Protection.
- Transacting business with Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned countries
- Creating internal compliance policies and procedures to improve efficiency and reduce risk
- Providing introductory and ongoing compliance training to business development and shipping professionals
- Defending administrative and prosecutorial enforcement actions
- Exporting and importing under NAFTA regulations
- Assist with response to Customs audits and focused assessments
- Representation before the United States Court of International Trade
Whether your company is a seasoned international business or is dealing with a new overseas partner for the first time, Godfrey & Kahn's International Trade team has the depth and breadth of experience to craft practical solutions designed to empower your business for ongoing global success.
Assisted client with investigation of suspected fraud by Customs broker
Advised manufacturer of electronic components regarding compliance with Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
Advised clients about compliance with regulations promulgated by the U.S. Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)
Submitted voluntary disclosure of export violations to U.S. Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security
Drafted international trade compliance policies for publicly-traded company
Drafted voluntary disclosure of anti-dumping duty violations to U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Protested audit findings by U.S. Customs and Border Protection alleging improper import duty classification
Helped draft international trade compliance program for publicly-traded company
Pursued successful appeal of an export license denial before the U.S. Commerce Department Bureau of Industry and Security
Advised client on Notice of Penalty received regarding anti-dumping duty violations
Drafted a Technical Services Agreement to share information about defense articles under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
Assisted a company in complying with complex “country of origin” issues under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
Advised on import classification ruling requests to U.S. Customs and Border Protection