This annual seminar presented by the Godfrey & Kahn Labor & Employment team will focus on practical approaches to preventing and managing employment law problems. It is designed to provide employers with information concerning recent changes in labor and employment law and suggested strategies to deal with these changes.
The seminar is designed to serve the needs of:
- Human resource professionals
- In-house counsel
- Front-line supervisors
This program has been approved for 3 recertification credit hours toward PHR and SPHR recertification through the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI). For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HRCI homepage at www.hrci.org. Seminar Agenda
8:00 - 8:30 a.m. Registration
8:30 - 9:30 a.m. Labor & Employment Law Update: Labor & Employment attorneys from Godfrey & Kahn will discuss the latest changes and developments in labor and employment law for 2006.
9:35 - 10:30 a.m. Break-out Session I
- Blogging, E-mail, Privacy, IM: Is your Employee Handbook Up to Date? Handbooks protect employers and employees in this changing world of technology and regulation. This session will discuss the latest trends in employee handbooks and will provide you with the tools to bring your handbook into the 21st century.
- Top 5 Mistakes Made by Wisconsin Employers - Navigating Wisconsin employment laws can be a daunting task. This session will teach you how to avoid common mistakes regarding topics such as FMLA; the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act; wrongful refusal to hire claims under Wisconsin Worker’s Compensation Act; and the implications of the state courts’ broad interpretation of disability.
Break-out Session II Options:
10:30 - 10:50 a.m. Refreshments & Networking
10:50 - 11:45 a.m. Break-out Session II
- Military Leave Compliance: Avoiding Military Leave Traps and Complying With the Law - Today, employers face the likelihood of employees requesting and taking military leave. The law provides significant protections, and federal regulations regarding military leave have been recently issued. This breakout session will discuss the rights granted to employees and help employers navigate the laws.
- Surviving Immigration “Reform” - Learn about the latest developments on this topic and how to anticipate and handle the immigration-related challenges employers face every day. We also will discuss the status, nature, and impact of proposed immigration reform and what it will mean for employers now and into the future.