This annual seminar presented by the Godfrey & Kahn Labor & Employment team will focus on practical approaches to preventing and managing employment law problems. It is designed to provide employers with information concerning recent changes in labor and employment law and suggested strategies to deal with these changes.
The seminar is designed to serve the needs of:
- Human resource professionals
- In-house counsel
- Front-line supervisors
8:00 - 8:30 a.m. Registration
8:30 - 9:30 a.m. Labor & Employment Law Update:
Labor & Employment attorneys from Godfrey & Kahn will discuss the latest changes and developments in labor and employment law for 2008.
9:35 - 10:30 a.m. Break-out Session I
- Investigations and Inspections: What to Do When the Government Comes Calling - In this session, our attorneys will provide advice on dealing with the prospect of investigations/inspections by state and federal government agents. Specifically, the session will cover OSHA inspections, EEOC/ERD investigations, and inspections of I-9 documents by federal officials. Our attorneys will discuss what to expect, how to react, and what not to do in the event you become the focus of unwanted government attention.
- Managing the Electronic Workplace: E-Discovery & Record Retention - This session will address the new rules governing electronic discovery in litigation and the important implications for employers. The presenter will discuss how the new rules have changed employers' obligations to preserve evidence when litigation is threatened and identify best practices and procedures for record retention.
10:30 - 10:50 a.m. Refreshments & Networking
10:50 - 11:45 a.m. Break-out Session II
- Handling Agreements: Offer Letters, Severance Agreements and Settlement Agreements - We will discuss the nuances of common agreements used in the employment relationship. This interactive session will explore what to include in an offer letter, when to use a reduction in force severance agreement, the difference between an over-40 and under-40 severance agreement and the necessary elements of a well-constructed settlement agreement.
- 2007 Rulings in Wage-and-Hour Litigation - Do you have to pay employees for hours spent traveling? What happens if you under-compensate your employees? During this session, learn about the current trends in workplace wage-and-hour litigation and rulings.
We have been approved for 3 recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR, and GPHR recertification through the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI). For more information about certification or recertification, please visit HRCI at www.hrci.org
We have been approved by the Board of Bar Examiners for 3 hours of use toward the Wisconsin mandatory CLE requirement.