Indian Nations Law Update - September 2013September 10, 2013
Godfrey & Kahn Attorneys Pierson and Clancy to Present on Financing Renewable Energy, September 11 in Tulsa
Environment & Energy Strategies team leader John Clancy and Indian Nations Law team leader Brian Pierson will present "Green Energy for Tribal Housing" on Wednesday, September 11, from 1:30 - 3:30 p.m. at the Native Learning Center's Indian Housing Training Conference in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The presentation will:
- describe strategies and financing sources to help tribes and Tribally Designated Housing Entities (TDHEs) achieve energy independence consistent with tribes' Seven Generations tradition;
- discuss wind, biomass and other renewable energy technologies with a particular focus on solar energy projects due to their special suitability for housing;
- describe how tribes and TDHEs can partner with developers who, by taking advantage of federal investment tax credits, can provide 25-30% of the cost of developing solar systems;
- explain how reduced energy costs and state and federal grants can cover additional portions of development costs and how, after a period of 5 or 6 years, the system can potentially be fully paid for, leaving the TDHE with nearly cost-free energy in place of environmentally harmful carbon-based energy; and
- discuss development of generation facilities that can power tribal enterprises and tribal housing and the permissible uses of the Indian Housing Block Grant and other financing sources in connection with such projects. We will illustrate recommended clean energy strategies with case studies.
Registration is free for Native Americans and those working within Indian Country. For more information or to register, click here.
Godfrey & Kahn works extensively with tribes, tribal subsidiaries and industry partners to take full advantage of tribal energy resources and to help tribes achieve long term, sovereignty-enhancing energy independence. For more information, contact Indian Nations Law Team Leader Brian Pierson at 414.287.9456 or email@example.com.
Godfrey & Kahn to Present on Leasing for Economic Development, October 10 in Las Vegas
G&K's Indian Nations Law team leader Brian Pierson will present "The HEARTH Act and Its Impact on Leasing Tribal Lands for Economic Development" with Donald ("Del") Laverdure, Acting Assistant Secretary of the Bureau of Indian Affairs at 10:15 a.m. on Thursday, October 10th as part of the Tribal Rights, Sovereignty and Economic Development Conference in Las Vegas. Del will address the HEARTH Act, leases covered by the Act, processes for Tribes to develop and implement regulations and the approval process. Brian's presentation will focus on practical tips for taking advantage of the Act, critical elements of a successful regulatory structure and tribal leasing programs. For more information or to register, click here.