While important to all of our clients, land is uniquely important to tribes because of the vital link between tribal lands and tribal sovereignty.
Godfrey & Kahn’s Real Estate Practice Group is ranked among the top real estate practices in Wisconsin by Chambers and Partners. The Real Estate Practice Group works closely with Godfrey & Kahn’s Indian Nations Practice Group to provide integrated counsel to tribes on environmental, public finance, securities, bankruptcy and tax issues that often arise in real estate transactions.
The firm has extensive experience representing tribes in connection with:
- Establishment of policies for acquisitions, including identification of acquisition criteria and due diligence procedures;
- Acquisitions, including handling all related real estate, finance, and environmental issues;
- Fee to Trust applications to the Secretary of the Interior;
- Drafting of tribal realty ordinances that comply with the HEARTH Act and provide a legal framework to support home ownership and economic development;
- Development of affordable housing projects through Low income housing tax credits and other affordable housing finance sources; and
- Conservation trusts