Defending Complex Securities Litigation
Our attorneys regularly defend companies across sectors in securities litigation, from class actions and securities fraud disputes to civil lawsuits alleging securities fraud. Our experience includes:
- Journal Communications – Defended putative class actions against the company and its directors claiming breaches of fiduciary duties and violations of federal securities laws in connection with the merger of two media companies. Plaintiff’s motions to enjoin the sale and for expedited discovery were denied, and the complaints in both cases were dismissed.
- Straka – Defended putative class action of former CFO in securities action against CIB Marine Bancshares, Inc., its directors and several officers for securities fraud and for indirect, control person liability. Motion to transfer case from Central Illinois to the Eastern District of Wisconsin was granted. Motion to dismiss securities fraud claim against client and all but one of the individual defendants was granted. Case was settled.
- Heartland Advisors, Inc. – Defended client who SEC claimed was alleged "tipee" of an insider of corporate defendant. Client was dismissed on motion for summary judgment.
- Shopko – Defended consolidated, putative class actions for securities fraud. Motion to dismiss was granted in part, denied in part. Case was settled.
- Coats v. Viaticals of America – Defended successor to bank charged with securities fraud under California state law in connection with others' sales of viatical settlement contracts. Client was dismissed on demurrer.
- Cumulus Media – Defended 11 class actions against the company and its officers arising from earnings restatement. Cases were all settled.
- Kohler Co. – Represented a mutual fund in a federal court breach of fiduciary duty suit arising out of a squeeze-out merger. Also represented 101 dissenters, including two mutual funds and several investment trusts, in related state court appraisal actions. Cases were both settled.
- Value Merchants – Defended the company in class action for securities fraud brought against it and two of its executive officers. Case was dismissed.