Family-owned and closely-held community banks present unique issues that deserve special care and attention.
In particular, family dynamics and succession, wealth, estate and tax planning must be addressed within a complex bank regulatory framework, which requires specialized legal advice and strategies on a discrete and interdisciplinary basis.
Many family-owned and closely-held community banks miss opportunities to optimally align the strategic direction of the bank with its shareholders’ ultimate goals either because these issues are never properly addressed or because advice from outside advisors on bank strategy and ownership planning are compartmentalized and isolated from one another. These missed opportunities—which are avoidable—have the potential to negatively impact future generations unnecessarily.
Our Family-Owned & Closely-Held Bank Practice Group, a subgroup of our Banking & Financial Institutions Practice Group, specializes in advising families and closely-held ownership groups and the community banks they control. We use a collaborative approach to address a wide range of issues faced by family-owned and closely-held community banks in a holistic and comprehensive manner that is unique among law firms.
Areas where we regularly assist our family-owned and closely-held community bank clients include:
- SROAs. Strategic Risk and Opportunity Assessments (SROAs), a proprietary and structured analysis of a community bank’s risks and opportunities based on our detailed interdisciplinary investigation.
- Ownership Structure. Structuring ownership to maximize shareholder returns and facilitate intergenerational transfers.
- M&A. Advising on mergers and acquisitions.
- Shareholder Liquidity. Developing shareholder liquidity strategies.
- Regulatory. Advising on federal and state banking laws and regulations, including change in control filings and insider activities.
- Executive Compensation. Consulting on management compensation and benefits.
- Estate Planning on Charitable Giving. Establishing estate plans, foundations and charitable giving guidelines.
- Governance. Advising on corporate governance best practices.
- Dispute Resolution. Assisting with the resolution of disputes before they become fractious to the bank.
- Resources. Connecting clients with accountants, valuation experts, insurance advisors, money managers and other resources with specific expertise in community banking.
Godfrey & Kahn Updates