The firm's Labor, Employment & Immigration Law Practice Group has a long history of successfully representing businesses in labor and employment disputes.
In addition to its strong background in providing labor and employment counseling, the practice group has the depth and breadth of resources to appropriately staff labor and employment litigation matters ranging from straightforward unemployment compensation hearings and grievance-arbitration matters to the defense of complex discrimination claims and multiparty employment litigation.
Regardless of the employment issue involved, the practice group's focus is on the business objectives of our clients. In defending businesses in labor and employment claims, the practice group, understanding the high cost of litigation, employs practical, business-oriented thinking and techniques to improve the efficiency of litigation and focus on our clients' objectives. Among those techniques are:
- Early investigation, evaluation and assessment of claims
- Realistic budgeting with periodic review
- Consideration and use of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) where appropriate
- Effective use of personnel at appropriate levels to maximize value
- Use of electronic litigation techniques where appropriate
- Reporting during and following the completion of matters to discuss what works and where to improve
Labor and Employment Litigation Forums
The practice group has achieved excellent results for the firm's business clients in a wide variety of labor and employment litigation forums including:
- Federal District Courts and Courts of Appeals
- Wisconsin Circuit Courts, Courts of Appeals and Supreme Court and other states' courts
- Wisconsin Equal Rights Division and other state agencies' discrimination hearings
- Wisconsin Unemployment Insurance Division and other state agencies' unemployment insurance hearings
- United States Department of Labor
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- National Labor Relations Board
- Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
- Grievance-Arbitration proceedings
- Mediation proceedings
In staffing employment litigation matters, the Practice Group can draw from over 50 professionals from both its Labor, Employment & Immigration and Litigation Practice Groups. By leveraging the assets of these professionals, we can ensure that the right level of experience and skill is applied to each particular claim.