Occupational Safety & Health
Employers have an obligation under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) and similar state laws to provide employees with a safe workplace. We routinely advise employers on all aspects of occupational safety and health. Some of the services we provide include:
- Counseling on technical compliance with regulations and best practices by:
- Conducting audits and assessments
- Preparing and advising on safety and health programs, including drug testing and other safety programs
- Advising on internal investigations of workplace incidents ranging from minor injuries to fatalities
- Handling of OSHA inspections
- Defending whistleblower and retaliation complaints
- Negotiating and resolving OSHA citations
- Litigating OSHA citations, such as:
- General duty clause violations
- Recordkeeping violations
- National and Local Emphasis Program violations
- “Willful” and “Repeated” violations
Our primary goal is to help our clients avoid costly OSHA penalties and litigation by offering proactive and practical advice regarding occupational safety and health issues to ensure compliance with OSHA standards. We rely on our experience and best practices to formulate and enhance safety and health programs.
When OSHA shows up at our clients’ doorsteps, we are adept at effectively handling OSHA inspections and in negotiating favorable informal settlements of OSHA citations. If informal settlements do not produce our clients’ desired results, we stand ready to defend our clients in formal proceedings before the Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission and beyond.
We have worked extensively with employers in the general manufacturing industry and special industry sectors.
Godfrey & Kahn Updates