Paul’s objective is to serve as his clients’ most trusted advisor on mergers and acquisitions, other strategic growth transactions and general corporate matters. His experience includes representing publicly-traded, private equity-owned, family-owned and closely-held businesses. As a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Paul brings a high level of business acumen to his clients and is well-positioned to help his clients find practical solutions to complex problems.
Mergers and acquisitions
Paul has significant experience assisting private equity firms, publicly-traded companies, family-owned businesses and entrepreneurs with the structuring, negotiation and closing of complex mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and recapitalizations. In addition, he is frequently asked to lead less common transactions, such as strategic alliances and joint ventures. He has earned a reputation for taking a proactive and practical approach to problem solving for these complex transactions, always focusing on a successful result for his client.
Many clients rely on Paul to serve as their outside general counsel. In this capacity, Paul provides guidance on a range of issues, including customer/supplier contracts and disputes, employment arrangements, equity and debt financing, succession planning, and tax questions. His depth of expertise in corporate governance issues enables him to serve on and provide regular counsel to boards of directors.
Family business and succession planning
Intergenerational business ownership transitions are often complicated and delicate situations. Paul understands the nuances of these transitions and emphasizes the link between estate and succession planning while providing general corporate advice. As a trusted advisor for legal matters as well as strategic planning, he works side-by-side with clients to ensure long-term planning continuity for both the family and the business, bringing additional Godfrey & Kahn resources into the mix as needed. Through his practice, Paul has gained significant experience serving as trustee to family trusts and as a director on both formal and advisory boards.
Paul regularly serves clients in the manufacturing, distribution, information technology, workforce solutions, food and beverage, professional services, real estate, education, and retail industries. Recent projects include:
- Assisting the owner of a workforce solutions business with the transition of ownership to a family trust, resulting in a significant wealth transfer upon the ultimate sale of the business. Paul continues to support the family as trustee of the family trust, helping with the implementation of long-term investment strategies and ongoing succession planning.
- Helping a second-generation, family-owned food distributor with a long-term acquisition growth strategy, resulting in significantly enhanced enterprise value realized through a sale to a major player in the client’s industry.
- Supporting the founder of a Wisconsin-based online retailer with the acquisition of a catalog business and implementation of an employee-based equity incentive program, ultimately leading to an IPO.
- Working with numerous Midwest-based and national private equity firms on the acquisition of platform and add-on investments as well as serving as outside counsel to their portfolio companies, across numerous companies including the following:
- Business services
- Commercial contractors
- Transportation logistics
- Automotive and industrial parts distributors
- Medical device distributors
- Heavy equipment manufacturers
- Metal stampers and fabricators
- Aiding the owners of a food and beverage retailer in selling its brand to a global business, while maintaining its successful and ongoing local retail presence.
- Assisting a publicly-traded global workforce solutions firm with implementing its acquisition and divestiture strategies.
Admitted To Practice
Wisconsin - 1996
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Milwaukee Bar Association
Wisconsin Institute of Certified Public Accountants
MACC Fund - Board Member
Medical College of Wisconsin – Board of Trustees
Blue Mound Golf & Country Club – Board Member, Chair of Finance Committee
Named 2018 “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for Mergers and Acquisitions Law in Milwaukee
Listed in Best Lawyers Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions, 2013 – present
Juris Doctor, Marquette University Law School, 1996, cum laude
Bachelor of Science, Marquette University, Accounting, cum laude