Often, real estate is one of a business’s most valuable assets. Thoughtful and pragmatic legal advice helps protect and enhance real estate value for the future.
When searching for a real estate attorney, finding a firm that offers business-focused, practical legal advice is key. At Godfrey & Kahn, we start each relationship by listening to your needs and understanding your objectives, enabling us to provide tailored counsel that helps you achieve your real estate goals. We pride ourselves on getting deals done by developing creative solutions to complex problems.
Whether you are a lender, developer, property management company, construction contractor or another type of business, our Real Estate Practice Group is prepared to meet your needs. Every day we help businesses build buildings, maximize the value of existing real estate and find the perfect new space.
Our team is knowledgeable about and ready to assist with:
- Brownfield redevelopments
- Closing documents
- Design and construction documents
- Due diligence
- Easement negotiations
- Equity raises
- HTC-financed development
- Joint venture creation
- Land acquisition
- Land use and entitlement matters
- Lease agreements
- LIHTC-financed development
- LLC and partnership formation
- Purchase and sale agreements
- TIF and municipal development agreements
- Zoning issues
What’s more, our firm’s collaborative service approach affords us easy access to specialized expertise in corporate and securities law, tax, estate planning, environmental law and bankruptcy should the need arise.
Godfrey & Kahn Updates
News & Publications
Office: Purchase, Sales, Development, Leasing
- Manpower Global Headquarters – Represented tenant in build-to-suit lease of 280,000-square-foot building, parking structure and skywalk.
- Edison Technology Center – Represented developer in development, lease and eventual sale of approximately 506,000-square-foot office facility for GE Healthcare in the Milwaukee County Research Park.
- Represented developer in development and lease of 200,000 plus-square-foot office building and parking structure in downtown Milwaukee and in subsequent sale of the development in a syndicated TIC transaction.
- Represented lender in historic tax credit renovation of office building in Schlitz Office Park.
- Represented the developer/landlord in various office headquarters building projects.
- Represented landlord in leases of individual office space in office tower to law firms, investment banking firms, accounting firms and many other tenants.
- Represented Zywave in build-to-suit lease of space as tenant in Mayfair Woods Office Park.
Retail: Purchases, Sales, Development, Leasing
- Multi-Tenant and Big Box Anchored Shopping Centers – Represented buyer of downtown shopping center and developer/seller of 318,000-square-foot redeveloped urban Milwaukee shopping center.
- Major Department Store - Represented national retailer in acquisition, development and leasing of department stores and distribution centers.
- Retail Centers – Represented client in acquisition, expansion, leasing and ultimate sale of retail centers.
- Grocery Stores – Represented regional retailer in acquisition, development, leasing and ultimate sale of grocery stores.
- Leasing – Retail leasing experience includes representing landlords in leases to TJ Maxx, Blockbuster, Pick 'n Save, Borders, Wal-Mart, Starbucks, Michaels, Whole Foods, Panera and other national and local retail tenants.
- Financial Institutions – Experience in branch acquisition and development.
- Represented clients in acquisition of printing, paper converting and warehousing properties.
- Represented regional developer in acquisition and lease-up of multiple mixed warehouse/office space in I-94 corridor between Milwaukee and Chicago.
- Represented industrial corporation in sale/leaseback of key operations facility.
- Represented national developer in appearances before local authorities in efforts to gain municipal approvals for industrial sites, including negotiation of TIF financing and developers agreements.
Financing: Representing borrowers and lenders on a wide variety of transactions
- Represented lead lender in $57,000,000 loan to a tenants-in-common sponsor for the acquisition of a corporate office park in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Represented lender in $20,000,000 loan to the Pabst Family for development of the Pabst Farms in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin.
- Represented lender in $30,000,000 loan to Cathedral Place, LLC for development of the Cathedral Place Condominium, a mixed-use office, residential and retail condominium.
- Represented lender in a $36,000,000 loan to New Land Development for construction of the Kilbourn Towers Condominium in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Represented higher education institution in connection with WHEFA bonds for the development of various campus facilities.
- Regularly serve as local counsel for borrowers and lenders in significant Wisconsin loans, including TIC syndication, acquisitions and refinancing.
- Represented seller of land and major unit owner in a $70,000,000 mixed-use project in Madison, Wisconsin.
- $60,000,000 historic tax credit rehab of downtown department store into a multi-use hotel, retail and office project.
- Local counsel to national developer in $75,000,000 acquisition and TIC syndication of mixed-use development.
Health Care Development
- Represented two health care entities in joint development of an approximately 292,000-square-foot biomedical research facility.
- Regularly represent health care service providers in development and construction of hospitals, clinics and other care facilities throughout Milwaukee and Madison metropolitan regions.
- Lambeau Field – Represented the Green Bay Brown County Professional Football Stadium District in the $295,000,000 renovation of Lambeau Field.
- Hotel Metro – Historic tax credit rehab of downtown office building into boutique hotel.
- Represented the purchaser of over 76,000 acres of timber land in northern Wisconsin.